Thursday, August 25, 2011

Loss

  Yesterday the baby and I hung out with David  "Mother Lode Progressives" Roddy ; we took him to the Pine Grove farmer's market where we listened to the music and bought salad and Habanero Jelly and lavender and then geocached in the next-door cemetery, because nothing says "fresh organic produce" like a graveyard looming over the fruit stand.
     We found the cache at the grave of a little girl killed in 1868 by a gun trap, then we walked around the cemetery while the baby played hoppity hop on the graves and tried to dip his hands and feet into the puddles of stagnant water where loved ones, long dead, are supposed to put fresh flowers. We joked about the names of the dead and discussed where or how we would want to be laid to rest forever.
    Later that night I received an e-mail from someone I love and admire that her father had died.
  Today I brought her a plant and a card and tried not to cry in front of her.
   My second year of college my best friend and I went to a Mormon Dance where I was promptly asked to leave for smoking in the parking lot. My best friend and I drove to the beach and stood in the parking lot staring at the stars, I said "hey, there's Venus, and there's Mars!" and my best friend looked up to the sky, smiled and said "oh, Hello Dad!"
  The next morning I woke up and thought to ask my best friend to have breakfast with me, instead he knocked on my door and told me that his father had died that morning. He had to leave.
    Two years later my best friend and I and his girlfriend held a seance on the spot where his father had died and I now and always will believe in ghosts.
    My best friend and I are no-longer best friends, in fact when we do see each other (which is very rare since he lives in Columbia) it is terse as our lives have forked in drastically different directions: I am married to the love of my life and have a gorgeous child and now have almost nothing in common with him, which needless to say makes conversation difficult "Hey, I haven't seen you in three years, yeah I have a baby and a different life where I'm actually responsible" him: "I've been traveling around the world and have met tons of interesting people and I have no sense of actual commitment" Me: "so, yeaahhhhh,"