Sunday, September 11, 2011

My 9/11 Story

  The night before my boyfriend at the time, Sam, and I were out in Jerseydale watching the planets align. In my memory it was Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Earth. We were out late, I think until 2 a.m, before we went home and fell asleep. We had the next day off from our jobs at Nativearth building leather shoes and being total hippies. I woke up around 9:30 and walked over two blocks to the grocery store to pick up a Lunchables Nacho and Cheese Lunch for breakfast. I smiled at everyone I met along the way said "good morning" wondering why everyone was glowering at me. I got back to my apartment, Sam was either asleep still or gone by that time back to his own house, I don't remember, my mother called me and told me to turn on the television. I did and watched as the news replayed the planes hitting the towers over and over again. I didn't know what I was seeing. My mother said "we're at war" and then I realized that Sam had joined the Army 6 weeks before.
    At the time I was more concerned about the fact that my boyfriend was leaving for war than I was concerned for the families of and people in the tower.   
     10 years later. I watch on youtube the towers being hit and falling every few months now. I cry every time.  I think about the families and individuals who lost their lives and were affected by this event. Whatever I feel, I cannot reconcile with the idea that so many innocent people have been killed because of our retaliation. How are we any better than those rotten motherfuckers who did it to us?